top of page

The river Lot through art at the Gajac museum

From July 8 to November 27, 2022, the Gajac museum celebrates "the river" with a temporary exhibition dedicated to this inseparable natural element of Villeneuve-sur-Lot.

Maurice Réalier Dumas. Deux enfants sur un bateau. Musée de Gajac. Villeneuve sur Lot. © PB
Maurice Réalier Dumas. Deux enfants sur un bateau. Musée de Gajac. Villeneuve sur Lot. © PB

The Gajac museum houses stones, paintings, drawings and prints that enhance its environment. In its collections, we notice a keystone from the 13th century representing the blessing of God the Father, the feet resting on the Old Bridge (1289).

The post-impressionist painter Maurice Réalier-Dumas (1860-1928) and the canvases painted in Chatou (Two children on a boat, Young girls by the river, Seine in flood) sensitively evoke the atmosphere of the time.

The canvases of André Crochepierre (1860-1937), the drawings of Gabriel Barlangue (1874-1956) and Georges Castaing (1895-20th century) - all three from Villeneuve-sur-Lot - offer a more classical landscape painting devoted mainly in Lot.

On the occasion of this exhibition, the Museum of Art and History of Judaism in Paris lent three paintings by Michel Kikoïne, attached to the School of Paris; the Fournaise de Chatou Museum, ten paintings including two works by André Derain; the Henri Martin Museum in Cahors, a painting by Henri Martin, a pointillist painter; the Museum of Fine Arts of Agen, twelve paintings including four works by Albert-Charles Lebourg, post-impressionist painter, and a work by Roger Bissière; the Museum of Fine Arts in Pau, three works including a painting by Albert Marquet and the Museum of Modern Art in Céret, six works by visual artist Alain Clément...

Le Musée de Gajac, à Villeneuve sur Lot. © La Dépêche.
Le Musée de Gajac, à Villeneuve sur Lot. © La Dépêche.

The Lot has for many years been a muse for artists, poets, musicians and writers. The Gajac museum has an entire room devoted to this river, because it is closely linked to the history and development of the town, built on either side of its banks.

The Benedictine abbey of Eysses had an old mill built in 1264 in Gajac. In the 1970s, with the help of Georges Henri Rivière (the father of ecomuseums and social museums), the space was transformed into a 21st century museum.

In his art history lectures, Fabrice Roy combines the past with the present, in a poetic and playful evocation of the French 19th century...


Musée de Gajac

2 rue des Jardins

47300 Villeneuve-sur-Lot

Tél : 05 53 40 48 00



コメント


bottom of page